Monday, November 12, 2007

What happens in Durham stays in Durham

No, I am not referring to the one in North Carolina, so I won't be able to visit the people I know in that state.

I'll be visiting University of Durham tomorrow and Wednesday and will be giving a talk in their atomic and molecular physics seminar series. (I'll be speaking about some of my work on Bose-Einstein condensates.)

For what it's worth, however, one of the people taking me to dinner tomorrow evening is a current graduate student at Durham who was an undergrad at Duke (i.e., in the other Durham).

I haven't revised my slides since the last time I gave a BEC talk, but I'm hoping to find a way to get the word "lollygagging" in it somewhere. (Hmmmm... I guess none of the UK people reading this are going to recognize this allusion.)

Update: It turns out that the graduate student I mentioned above first encountered my name a few years ago because of a preprint I wrote back in the day giving an introduction to LaTeX for people using LaTeX for the first time. (This preprint, which you can find here, has actually gotten a fair bit of circulation over the years. I wonder if more people have read that paper than any of my other papers? I've been meaning to update that article for several years because I know a lot more about LaTeX than I did back then, but it's very far down on the list as far as my scientific endeavors are concerned. Maybe I'll try to find an interested student to do that at some point just because while the article is already very useful, it would be nice to make it even more useful.)

On the way to Durham, I switched lines in a station in Birmingham --- does anybody remember if the train line that goes through Birmingham, AL also hits Durham, NC? I passed through a station in York. It's sometimes easy to forget that there was an old York. :) (Even though I have a dessert that hails from Yorkshire when I eat prime rib at Lawry's...)

2 comments:

GFreak said...

You've got me all confused over here in New Durham. Did you know Dr. Burdick in the ME dept at Tech? He did his undergrad here at Duke.

Mason said...

I know Burdick pretty well, actually. He was one of my favorites profs at Tech! I had him for ME 115ab and I also see him every so often at conferences (and also went to a seminar of his while I was in Berkeley and obviously saw him when I was back at Tech for a couple of years).

I remember how when I got really sick junior year, one of my problem sheets got delayed again and again until its official due date became "whenever." (I was so sick that I kept having coughing spasms whenever I tried to ask for the extension so he basically figured it out, said I could have the extension, and asked me to leave his office before he got sick.) Burdick is awesome!