Friday, August 22, 2008

Indie movies and pretentious coffee bars

The study group with industry ended a bit after 1pm today, which gave me most of today, all of tomorrow, and part of Sunday to explore a bit (or, more precisely, to continue my Montreal escapades from 2003 and 2004). Accordingly, I headed to downtown after we were done to explore the eastern half of St. Catherine's street. (This is the main happening street downtown.) The metro station I went to was the one that turned out to connect to their grand central station and is where the buses from the airport go if one is heading downtown. (This time, I just took a cab because University of Montreal is paying for my travels. Hence, I didn't want to deal with the luggage-dragging---and the having to figure out where I actually needed to go at various stages---that the bus + metro option would have entailed.) This therefore touched me down amidst the familiar hotels from 2003 and 2004.

Upon exploring the eastern part of St. Catherine's (a street which goes on forever and is basically open all night), I ran into the Montreal film festival, which I didn't realize was happening now. (It started last night.) This is excellent, because it allows me to see some indie films long before they come out in theatres. (Some of these probably won't come out in UK or US theatres at all.) I saw a really good Japenese film called something like "The 100 Million Yen Woman." Various types of social awkwardness play pretty important roles in it, so while it was a bit too heavy-handed and predictable at times, it definitely resonated with me somewhat. (There were also some brief comedic moments, like a judge's/police official's voiceover proclaiming how bad it was to throw out a person's "Nintendo DS, as well as his other possessions" (the quote is approximate). I'll bring up the film again in a very belated entertainment review blog entry that will include films, theatre, etc. from the past several months. There are quite a few other films I'm interested in seeing (though only a fraction of those are playing while I'm still in town), so my current plans are to see 1-2 tomorrow. (I have already walked around a decent bit and I don't typically do things like museums unless I'm doing that with someone else. I just don't typically like going to museums on my own.) I was going to see a regular movie tonight, but once I found out that the film festival was going on, I threw out that option. (P.S. As far as I can tell, Philip Seymour Hoffman is not in any of the films being shown at this festival.)

As I have mentioned in the past (though maybe not in this blog), Montreal has tons and tons of very good coffee places. One of the ones near the university is in fact among the most pretentious coffee places I've ever been. (It's name is stupid---"Java U"---but its espresso drinks are fantastic! Ergo, I approve!) It might even be the 2nd most pretentious coffee place I've ever been to, although it is nowhere close to as pretentious as the venue occupying the top spot on the list (Equator Cafe in Pasadena). However, it has much better coffee than Equator (which has good coffee), which is what really counts. I went to another pretentious coffee place as well today---its barristas also seemed to range from dressed-in-black to very goth. I was also going to have crepes today, but it didn't work out. There's a crepes place near the theatre I went to and one or both of the films I'm seeing tomorrow are at that specific theatre as well, so I'll definitely make up for that tomorrow. It would be a crime to have my third trip to Montreal without having had a crepe in any of the three.

Fun fact: In high school, I was voted most likely to see independent films and drink pretentious coffee drinks while having crepres. (OK, not really---but I would have been if we had that category.)

2 comments:

Travis said...

There's a stunning lack of pretentious coffee bars here in midtown Manhattan, which is completely dominated by Starbucks. I assume they must exist somewhere in the city (and I'm guessing the Village and Williamsburg) but not anywhere near me...

Mason said...

I would have been surprised, except that that surprise occurred when I visited NYC in 2001. I saw tons of Starbucks, tons of Au Ban Pain, and no other coffee places whatsoever.

The crepes place I went to turned out to be a chocolate and crepes place. I had the best chocolate drink I've ever had---it was a really thick hot chocolate; they have numerous choices of chocolate so I chose a really dark one with espresso embedded in it. It was expensive (for a drink of that size), but wow. My dulce de leche crepe was also very good, but the drink was amazing. There are tons of other things I want to try at that place as well, though it is quite expensive. (In general, that area of town is pretty expensive, though my notion of what good is expensive is far different than it used to be because my salary is higher I'm used to paying much higher prices after living in the UK and visiting Europe.)

I saw two more films today. I found one that I thought might be Gondrey-esque, and it was that way in spades. It was spectacular! (It wasn't flawless by any means, but it really was fantastic.) I also saw a very funny but very wrong, slightly-anaochronistic cartoon about Franz Ferdinand and Lissi. There were some critics and industry people in the audience for the first film and it was rather well-received, so I think it's conceivable that this might come over. (It's an Irish film.) The guy behind the film was actually there, so he answered audience questions after the fact. His two main influences for the film were Tim Burton and (to a lesser extent) Gondrey. The mixture of fantasy and reality was wonderful and it took me a little while to figure out most of which was which. I'll be very surprised if the German cartoon gets released in US theatres, but it's definitely worth a watch if it is.

I'm really glad I've spent some time hanging out at the film festival.