Sunday, September 07, 2008

Did I run away and join the circus?

I walked outside of Somerville this morning and noticed lots of rides (and various other booths one would associated with a circus or county fair) being set up right outside and as far south as the eye could see. (Note that I wasn't actually entirely surprised, as I saw a notice on the Ashmoleum Museum a few days ago that it would be closed from today until the 9th because of this.) My first reaction was that this would be really annoying because the density of children in this area would probably increase. Bloody Hell! My second reaction came after I looked at some of the themes of the various rides---the only ones with "regional" themes seemed to be US-centric: American football, Disneyland, the Kentucky Derby, etc. I guess this is part of some sort of world tour? I can't see British children being into some of those themes---wouldn't polo have made more sense than the Kentucky Derby?

No comments: