Friday, December 05, 2008

Greg Maddux to Announce Retirement

I'm sorry to have to report this, but I have just read a headline on ESPN.com that Greg Maddux will shortly hold a news conference to announce his retirement.

Just look at these Hall-of-Fame numbers. Greg Maddux was an absolute pleasure to watch. He was an artist on the mound, and I'm glad to be able to say that he spent a short amount of time pitching for my team. I know he's not what he used to be, but I was hoping he'd stick around for another year so that I could continue watching him pitch.

I have two important things to say to close this entry:

(1) Maddux finished with more wins than Roger Clemens, and I am very pleased about this.

(2) Not that Maddux will ever read this (and this is a ridiculous cliche), but thanks for the memories! This is simply an irreplaceable player who I got a lot of pleasure in watching over the years.

2 comments:

GFreak said...

First unanimous HOF selection ever? Maybe. He's certainly worthy.

And how many pitchers do you know with 11 SB (out of 14 attempts)?

Mason said...

He is definitely worthy, but I just know some idiot is going to apply some sort of silly 'I never vote for first-timers.' policy. He's got a shot (and the only other retired players not yet in the Hall that I would have mentioned in that light--Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds--are certainly not going to get in unanimously now). I'm rooting for it!