Thursday, May 13, 2010

Community Structure in Time-Dependent, Multiscale, and Multiplex Networks

Guess what? I now have a paper in Science. And it's a mathematics article. And it even has tensors in it. You can find the abstract here. Science's editorial policy prevents me from putting the published .pdf file on my website, but I can put the version that was accepted there. Here are some more details about the paper:

Title: Community Structure in Time-Dependent, Multiscale, and Multiplex Networks

Authors: Peter J. Mucha, Thomas Richardson, Kevin Macon, Mason A. Porter, Jukka-Pekka Onnela

Abstract: Network science is an interdisciplinary endeavor, with methods and applications drawn from across the natural, social, and information sciences. A prominent problem in network science is the algorithmic detection of tightly connected groups of nodes known as communities. We developed a generalized framework of network quality functions that allowed us to study the community structure of arbitrary multislice networks, which are combinations of individual networks coupled through links that connect each node in one network slice to itself in other slices. This framework allows studies of community structure in a general setting encompassing networks that evolve over time, have multiple types of links (multiplexity), and have multiple scales.


Notes:

(1) One of my coauthors is named Kevin Macon. How cool is that for a networks paper?

(2) The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill press release can be found here.

(3) I'll post the Oxford press release later (after it's available). Some venues are planning to pick up the story, and I'll pass relevant links along once I have them.

(4) On an entirely separate note, my cow sync paper---which I just posted on the arXiv---has been invading the blogosphere (especially the nerdy corners of it), so I'll write something about that later.

(5) I really need to grade papers right now. Sigh...

No comments: