Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Microcosm

Here's an incident that occurred recently (today?) at Caltech that is a microcosm for the akwardness of Caltech males:

Basically, some guy at Tech wanted to hold the door open for a girl at Tech (which is a nice gesture and something I try to be in the habit of doing) and somehow the girl ended up with a broken nose.

I don't have any additional details. (For example, I don't know if there's any "fault" involved and as Lemming points out, it's easy to imagine both parties going to the door at the same time and something like this accidently happening.) I'll let you know if I find out anything further, but it's kind of amusing as a spectacular failure.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The synecdoche would be even better if he had followed her around waiting for an opportunity to hold the door, only to break her nose, but it's pretty good as is.

Mason said...

I've heard some more news (and found out who the girl is, though I won't mention any names here) and apparently the girl and the guy were both simultaneously trying to open the door for each other. So while I like the stylized version of the story better, Lemming pretty much got it right.

Mason said...

Oh yeah, remind me to tell a story from Rotation during my senior year about the temporary occupants of the room that would later be occupied by Lemming and AG. That one was even more "awesome".

Lemming said...

Heh. To be fair, it was only that easy because I've been there.

Also, who was in the room before us... Jess & ??? ?

Mason said...

The room before you had a girl who would become a Flem and another who would get into Page. I can't think of their names at the moment.

Lemming said...

Oh, those girls. I was thinking the temporary Lloydie residents. Jen and... I don't remember the other girl's name.

Mason said...

Oh, sorry. I should have been more specific.

Jessica's last name is Wuu. I don't know who she roomed with that first week, but I think she roomed with Melinda after that.

There was a particular incident of somebody trying to look through a keyhole and under a door (on multiple occasions) in perhaps the most pathetic attempt at glomming I've ever seen. The good version of this story is easier to tell than to write (because I'd really rather not type that much). That guy didn't realize we could see him from my room, but we just stopped what we were doing to watch him act like an 'idjit.'