Monday, January 19, 2009

Wikified Classmates

I now know of two of my fellow Beverly High classmates [in this case, people who I actually know] from the class of 1994 who have been wikified. (Maybe there are more, but I just found out about the second one today.)

I went to both Beverly High and Hawthorne elementary school (since 1st grade, if I remember correctly) with Dina Rae (though I know her as "Dina Franks"). I went to Beverly High with Saba Soomekh, whose sister Bahar has also been wikified. I took classes with Saba, but I don't remember whether I met Bahar (maybe I did), who has appeared in MI: III (among other films).

Then, of course, there is also Angelina (who I mever met, though my collaborator JP Onnela can tell you at least one story about her; she was one year ahead of me in school and apparently left after sophomore year) and this person (whose family lived a block away from mine and whose brother is the one who first taught me how to throw a frisbee).

So much for my sordid past. At least I can have second-order fame through the people I know.

5 comments:

GFreak said...

Best I can do are:
Malia Jones: surfer and model who was very good friends with my ex-wife (but I never met her in person).
Shane Victorino: Not a classmate of mine, but I played against him and his older brother in high school. He was terrible back then when he was a freshman and I was a senior (but BLAZING fast). His older brother Mike Jr. was actually a better baseball player and all-around athlete but life choices* ended his hopes of pro sports.






*=had a Grad Night baby

Mason said...

Nice life choice! :)

There are also a ton of wikified scientists that everybody who stays in the business gets to know (and, in many cases, has as PhD and postdoc advisors), but that's highly correlated with my chosen career and I already had a blog entry about that anyway. (I was going to link to it, but I can't find it right now and I need to read and perhaps act on various e-mails in the next 40 minutes.)

Did everything go smoothly with your stuff?

GFreak said...

To which stuff are you referring?
The Qualifying Exam went ok (inasmuch as I passed despite floundering like an idiot for most of it). I'm working on my MS Thesis now; I've got the next month's work (and accomplishments) mapped out to the day in order to get it completed and defended in time for May graduation, and also to give me time to submit a paper for the ASME DSC (Dynamic System & Control) conference in Hollywood. So that's making my life "exciting".

Mason said...

I think most of us can do without such excitement. :)

You had a sort of countdown in your Facebook status for a while, so I figured a big exam was coming up.

GFreak said...

That countdown over the last week or two was for review of my "first draft". My advisor approved of the work, but he and I are both concerned about the slippage in my schedule (we were hoping I would have already had my defense by now, but I'm still looking at a few more weeks of work).