Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Caltech Math: Where One Goes to Learn "Topography"

Caltech's undergraduate mathematics has been listed as 10th best in the United States according to some way of ranking these things.

I don't really care about that (because such rankings are only worth a little bit anyway), but there is a choice quote in the article when it comes to Caltech: The Department of Mathematics at the California Institute of Technology offers an undergraduate program that introduces students to theories and principles of math, while strengthening problem solving and analytical skills. Classes in algebra, statistics, linear equations, discrete mathematics and topography build over the course of the program.

Why isn't the applied mathematics (which has been called "Applied and Computational Mathematics" for many years but was still called "Applied Mathematics" when I went there) even mentioned? I've obviously biased, but clearly I favor the applied mathematics major at Caltech over the mathematics major.

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go and practice my topography.

No comments: