Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Putting the 'joy' back in joystick

Courtesy the current issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, here are instructions for modifying an Atari 2600 joystick to serve other purposes.

The question is: Which game should one play while enjoying oneself?

Perhaps the canonical answer might be "Custer's Revenge", which was supposed to be the equivalent of an X-rated Atari 2600 game. (Don't ask me how they do this on a game system where the shrooms in "Centipede" were constrained to be monochromatic bricks, but screenshots I've seen in past issues of EGM suggest a passing resemblence to the old activision game "Dolphin".)

I think, however, the only truly appropriate answer is "E.T.", which was the worst game ever made. My sister got this game because she loved the movie (which annoyed me even back when it came out in 1982), so I played and beat this game just because it was there (and I was probably waiting for the port of Q*Bert or something else that was actually good---well, Q*Bert was awesome, not just good), and I have been scarred ever since. For example, E.T. repeatedly falls into giant pits and it takes on the order of 30 minutes to get him out (and he's whining the entire time). I was dumb back then. If a game did that to me now, I'd drop it off the top of Millikan. (As a preview, I have been promised the condensed matter group's sucky printer for that very purpose once our new one arrives. We'll see if that actually happens.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, E.T. The game so bad that Atari dropped millions of unsold inventory in a landfill, crushed it with steamrollers, and buried it in concrete. Hopefully they also put up warnings about toxic waste.

Mason said...

Yes, that one.

I remember reading about the landfill thing in EGM. Then I remembered the pain of actually playing that game.