Friday, February 17, 2006

Write for The Tech!

("Or we'll strangle this cat.")

("Or we'll give you a boot to the head.")

We did actually use both of those when I was a Tech Editor. (The former cascaded out of control a bit with a series of events that ultimately led to a very nasty letter from the Pasadena Humane Society or the Pasadena branch of a Humane Society or something like that, but that's a story for another day.)

Anyway, I showed up to my first Tech meeting in many years today. The former advisor Hall Daily just moved on just recently, so there is now a new advisor. (The transition just happened.) The new Tech Editors just got elected, and I am helping out as a sort of unofficial assistant advisor. Basically, I just plan to show up to some of the meetings and give ideas and let them know about certain things that were done before that are similar to some of the ideas being discussed. My work with The Tech actually helped my expository ability tremendously (and has accordingly helped me a lot scientifically), so I am very happy to do this. (With the book and science writing experience and all that, there is also a lot I can contribute in an advisory role.) Plus, it's a very small time commitment. (On Hall's advice, I waited for the editorial switch before I showed up for a meeting.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mason, where'd Hall go--you can mail me if you'd rather not say publically.

Mason said...

Hall is still doing his regular job at Caltech, but he decided that The Tech needed new blood. (I have a bit more knowledge than that, but I don't want to post it.)