Friday, September 15, 2006

"I've fallen, and I can't get up!" (reprised)

During today's Dodger game (we won!), I saw a commercial for LifeAlert for the first time in something like 12-13 years. (This was one of those commercials that used to be popular during daytime tv, so when I stayed home from school, I would occasionally see this during game shows.)

The thing that amused me tonight is that at the end of the commercial, the on-screen text included "I've fallen, and I can't get up (R)." Dude, the company actually registered the quote(!), which is an example of a pre-Web meme. (OK, admittedly it makes sense that they registered the quote given how history played out, but I still find it amusing.) In fact, here is its wikipedia entry.

I remember when it came out fondly, because there were tons of references to it because it was unintentionally hilarious. (Jay Leno, in particular, referred to it over and over again.)

No comments: