Monday, November 06, 2006

If you die in the game, you die for real

Courtesy Lemming, here is an amusing picture.

While the depicted game is solitaire, it reminds me of a certain ridiculous comic strip that was produced by anti-D & D people. It depicted somebody who was ostracized by the rest of the people in her party (in real life) because her character died, and at least in some versions, her suicide was also involved. Actually, the strip is funny because of its sheer absurdity even though its producers were being serious. Of course, the first clue that it's completely unrealistic is that the depicted campaign has two female players... (Let me know if you find such a campaign, however, because I want to join it.)

On another note, I briefly caught the following on the news: Apparently, some dumbass got arrested this week in a short chain of events that started when during a game of Truth or Dare, he was asked about the stupidest thing he had ever done, and he answered that he had shot someone. Brilliant. Maybe now that's the second stupidest thing he's ever done...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, we've had one-shots with a plural presence of the fairer sex. Come to think of it, we've even had a whopping multiplicity of females (two) in Fun With Dwarves, though I think back then it was still The Desert Campaign.

Anonymous said...

(Of course, if you count the actual ratio of girls/guys, well, it was pretty shameful nonetheless.)

Mason said...

I know it happens occasionally. I was indeed exaggerating a bit, but I found it amusing that in that comic they purposely went with a game with a 50:50 ratio despite all the empirical evidence to the contrary. It was just a nice extra hint that they don't actually know anything about D & D. :)

Mason said...

I know it happens occasionally. I was indeed exaggerating a bit, but I found it amusing that in that comic they purposely went with a game with a 50:50 ratio despite all the empirical evidence to the contrary. It was just a nice extra hint that they don't actually know anything about D & D. :)

Anonymous said...

I've known three recent campaigns that were 3m:2f or better. It's not all that uncommon...

Have you seen the atheist remake of that particular Chick tract? It was on Pharyngula quite some time ago (after the move to Scienceblogs, I think).

Mason said...

"Not all that uncommon" sounds like a euphemism for "I've gotten lucky." :) Of course, there is always the "hope" picture from the gaming motivational posters.

I did not see that remake. Do you have a link handy? I'm not really sure how I'd find it via google.

I have seen some reasonable ones, but it does seem to be the exception rather than the norm.

Anonymous said...

Here it is. Much harder to find than I expected - the MST3K version and Dork Dungeons parody swamp the google results.

Mason said...

As the guy who produced the parody indicated, the original is its own parody. Thanks for finding it!