Monday, December 18, 2006

For Your Consideration

A bunch of us saw For Your Consideration on November 25th.

This movie was decent but not great, and the fact that I know a little Yiddish definitely helped me with some of the jokes. I enjoyed the film, but based on the trailer, I thought it would be better than it was.

The movie is about the making of a movie and the Oscar rumors surrounding some of its actors. The highlights of the film (by a hefty margin) are the various mockeries of interview and entertainment shows. ("You know what they say about blind prostitutes...? You really gotta hand it to them!") In the movie within the movie, which the financers within the movie thought needed to be changed a bit because of its "in-your-face Jewishness", the actors are a typical Jewish famly with thick Southern accents. This is, in fact, rather atypical, so I found this exchange to be amusing. (The whole thing with Yiddish words in thick Southern accents things also amused me, though the movie got that point across really early and spent too much time bludgeoning us with it.)

Anyway, the movie was pretty good but not great, and I would also recommend it more for Members of the Tribe than non-Members because there is something to be gained from being "in" on some of the in-jokes.

No comments: