Friday, December 29, 2006

Well hung

The listed 'story highlights' on CNN's article about Saddam Hussein's execution are currently the following:

• NEW: Hussein refused to wear black hood
• NEW: Hussein told witness, "Don't be afraid"
• NEW: Bush praises Iraqis for giving fair trial
• Celebrations break out in Baghdad and Michigan


Not to make light of things, but I can't help being amused by the 4th highlight. It sounds like the punchline to a joke.

(Now I'll read the article and see if there's a good reason for their being celebrations in Michigan versus other places in the U.S. -- and perhaps have egg on my face for being insensitive, but we'll see what's in the article.)

Update: Apparently, Dearborn, Michigan has the largest "concentration" (although I think the article actually means raw population) of Iraqi-Americans in the United States. (I wouldn't have guessed that.) So, my comment was a bit insensitive, but I still think that headline is amusing, and I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend otherwise.

No comments: