Sunday, September 16, 2007

There I was; they rocked me like a hurricane.

I just got back from a concert by The Scorpions (it let out late enough that the Gold Line was already done for the night, and I needed to take a bus [which was 30 minutes late]).

The concert was both fun and loud, and the band was excellent when it came to interacting with audience members (among the best I've seen in that regard). There was a particularly amusing moment when the drummer was doing his solo (each member of the band was given a chance to shine; aside from the lead singer, this was especially true of one guitarist and especially the drummer, who each had extended solos). He kept trying to get different parts of the audience to be louder. Finally, some woman (his wife or girlfriend, maybe?) runs on stage to give him a beer. He stands up, takes a break, and starts chugging the beer; meanwhile, the woman starts rocking on the drums and then they did a duet on the drums (banging them together, so to speak). It was pretty sweet!

I heard all the songs I really wanted to hear except one ("Winds of Change", in an extremely surprising omission). During a couple of the power ballads (in particular, "Send Me an Angel", which is my favorite song by The Scorpions), there was the usual lighting and swaying of lighters and cell phones. Does anybody know how the original tradition (the lighter or, I suppose, candle version) started? I understand that the visual effect is cool and all that, but if anybody knows the origins of this, please let me know.

(P.S. The bloody Padres and Phillies won again. Damnit! Thankfully, the Dodgers kept pace with them.)

No comments: