Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Werewolves of Oxford

Tonight was Halloween.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada milkshake at G & D's. And his hair was perfect!

Actually, I didn't go out at all for Halloween. (For people across the pond, G & D's is the local ice cream place that I frequent. I often see other Somervillians there, and I have run into a couple of my students there on multiple occasions. As I told one of them, we're going to make Somerville the hip place in Oxford to study mathematics.) I played some Vampire today (which is appropriate), I went to our first event for OCIAM's Masters students (where I had one of my patented "Mason moments," as Carlos Torre used to call them... it was actually pretty classy and it helped get the right point across, so the strategy and its concomitant [very] pointed question that I asked the speaker seemed to work pretty well), and then I've spent most of the day and night marking assignments in preparation for my tutorial session assignments tomorrow. (The marking and the Governing Body meeting, which is the other main thing I did today, are absolutely mind-numbing.) Actually, I still have one problem left to mark, but I am taking a break from it. I also ending up not having a proper dinner tonight, although I did grab a couple of pieces of fruit in the SCR during my last break an hour ago. (Have I yet mentioned here that two of my students have absolutely awesome first names? Well, one of the names is "merely" cool and the other is spectacular.)

I'm going to need to show my students what a phase plane is even though they don't officially learn it until next year. It will help them understand some of the dynamics stuff they're doing a lot better, and I think giving them this kind of preview is good anyway.

Oh, and if you don't know the allusion in the title, you should look at this web page. (Also, if you've never heard the title track to this album, then you owe it to yourself to listen to it. I really appreciate the sense of humor in that song! In fact, I really like several of the songs on this album --- I never previously realized that all of these songs actually come from the same album.)

1 comment:

Travis said...

I've always liked "Werewolves of London". Unfortunately, my copy of Excitable Boy is in Dallas...