Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Unwanted People

The UK Home Office has created a "Least Wanted List" of people who are apparently not moral enough to enter the country. I have a couple of comments:

1) It does seem that the people discussed in the article hold views that I find abhorrent. But see (2) for my far more important point.

2) I am exceptionally uncomfortable (to put it mildly) with the idea of not allowing people into the country on the grounds that they have ideas that I find abhorrent. In fact, several of the things that they apparently do are quite disgusting, but in my opinion, the things described in the article are not grounds for banning them from visiting a country. That sets a horrible precedent and, in my opinion, is quite a disgusting act itself.

3) Whenever I see the term 'Home Office', I always think of Angel.

(Tip of the cap to CNN.)

4 comments:

Justin said...

More UK police state policies, yay. What a disturbing country you live in...

To me, "home office" calls Letterman to mind. "Senior partners" is probably the phrase that I'd tie to Angel. That, or "fluffy black cat who likes to stand on my stomach when I'm trying to sleep". :-)

Mason said...

This policy is really quite disturbing.

Letterman does indeed do this, but wasn't the white 'room' (obtained via the funky button in the elevator) in Angel the home office?

Justin said...

No, that's the "white room", wikipedia confirms. There is mention of the Home Office, which turns out to be from way back in season 2. There is an elevator involved, but the WRH Home Office is simply Earth. I don't think I much liked that episode, so that's part of why I don't remember it too well...

Mason said...

OK, at least I wasn't completely confused. Right, that was the episode where that executive came back from the dead to man the elevator.