Friday, May 30, 2014

Estimating Expected Age from a Name

Fivethirtyeight.com has some very cool infographics that summarizes some basic features of distributions of names for people based on age. Very cool stuff!

One of the plotted examples is "Joseph", which has a median age of 37. The median "Mason" is age 6. I am around that age mentally, so I guess it fits. (Or maybe I'm just ahead of my time?) One thing I noticed is that the female names with old medians include many that I definitely associate with older people (but I don't feel the same association for the male names with old medians), though that might well be a function of things like The Golden Girls --- which was brought up in the article --- and panels from The Far Side.

(Tip of the cap to Anna Iwaniec Hickerson.)

No comments: