Sunday, June 04, 2006

"Rope" (the play)

Today I went with the CPA theatre crowd to see a play version of "Rope," which was originally an Alfred Hitchcock movie. I have never seen the movie, but my fellow postdocs were mentioning its marvelous technical achievements (e.g., there were no cuts).

The play, which was at Fight Club theatre (and included at least one of the people from that play with Josh, although this guy didn't do that great a job), was very entertaining and his highly recommended. While not an Evil Overlord, the leading bad guy broke some of those rules that an Evil Overlord should be following. (He was very conceited, and this allowed the crime to be discovered. He didn't wear a cape, though.)

The play itself also had a bunch of social commentary concerning the young Oxford crowd. The social butterfly and the guy hooking up with her were both present. There was lots of fluffy talk with little content (that Hitchcock was openly mocking) that goes right with the Oxford (and Ivy League) stereotypes of people who are full of themselves and who have a lot to say about nothing. The person whose character I enjoyed the most was the sarcastic intellectual, who made plenty of lovely snide remarks. (I would like this...) This guy has apparently appeared on Saturday Night Live, and he did an excellent job.

One annoying thing about the play was that the course of events were so bloody obvious that it was ridiculous. We knew what was coming from the very beginning. This was by design, but it's not a choice I would have made.

I am curious to see the original movie version at some point, but I want some time to pass first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how you went to see that. I'll be in this next two weeks' productions at that very venue. I'll be playing Kenneth Raglan, the guy who's got a crush on Leila Arden, who is in turn played by the girl I had a crush on in the one-act Heather and Hank. I also had a crush on the girl off-stage, but that's a harrowing tale for another time.

Mason said...

CPA play/musical choices are fairly random (well, not literally, but they seem that way when viewed macroscopically rather than microscopically). There is a general preference for small venues and for performances that are on the cheaper side (and Hollywood is a perfect location for all forms of cheapness). I believe multiple people suggested this play because they particularly enjoyed the movie. It's too bad I won't be able to heckle you in it, but at least I can write a harsher review because none of the other actors will ever be reading my blog. :)

As for crushes, I feel your pain. It sounds like it's over, which I suppose is a good thing (at least mentally). They can be distracting at times.