Sunday, January 14, 2007

2007 Inductees in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

The 2007 inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are REM, Patti Smith, Van Halen, The Ronettes, and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five.

The ones who are part of my paradigm are REM and (to a lesser extent) Patti Smith, and they are both certainly deserving inductees (whose inductions have been considered a given for over a decade, and in the case of Smith, over two decades). Van Halen isn't my cup of tea, but I know they're extremely influential (not to mention extremely popular), and their induction was also a foregone conclusion a long time ago.

This blog speculates on the possible dirt-flinging that may arise regarding which subsets of which configurations of Van Halen show up to the award ceremony. (That could be pretty entertaining...)

A couple of the songs I would expect to see performed are "White Lines". This is the only Grandmaster Flash song I can name without looking things up... this song isn't my thing, but it's been exceptionally influential; I assume their other stuff has been as well or they wouldn't have been inducted.

I'm guessing Patti Smith will perform "Because the Night" as one of her two songs. (By the way, an interesting exercise is to compare the versions of that song by Patti Smith, Bruce Springstein, and 10000 Maniacs. I believe that Smith and Springstein both have writing credits, or maybe it's just Smith.)

I'm sure I've heard of the Ronettes before, but I can't think of any of their songs and I can't currently remember having heard of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ronettes were one of the classic '60s girl groups; the song you've most likely heard is "Be My Baby".

Mason said...

Yeah, I've definitely heard this song many times. I suppose I've heard other songs by them and just wouldn't be able to identify it as theirs.