Monday, October 10, 2005

2005 stats on baseball-reference.com

One of my favorite websites is baseball-reference.com. Today, the site's stats were updated through the 2005 regular season. (You can look up, for instance, that Craig Biggio is now 12th all-time in doubles.) In my own little OCD world, I like to see how people advance on the career rankings when the new stats get posted, although I still haven't gone through the 05 stats in detail to see who I think should win the MVPs and other awards.

For what it's worth, the person behind baseball-reference.com is Sean Forman, a fellow mathematician. In a January conference, I will be giving a talk on how to rank football teams using random walkers (aka, "monkeys") in a session on mathematics and sports that he organizes every year. I'll make a longer post on that when our 2005 rankings are up, but for now you can see 2004 and 2003 rankings here.

No comments: