Friday, October 14, 2005

Movies I want to see (some a lot, some a little)

The list I am using comes from the following list of trailers. I am not putting things in order beyond the order that I read things from this site, and I'm sure I'm omitting something not on this site (and potentially something interesting whose trailer I haven't seen). Here is the list:

Ice Age 2: containing the movie character with whom I identify far more than anybody else ever (I mean the squirrel, of course, who can never hold on to his accorns)

The Da Vinci Code: I'm not sure if I'm going to see this and I have feelings I'll regret it if I do, but I suspect I'll go anyway.

Barnyard: "What happens in the barn stays in the barn." [[Insert Flem joke here.]]

King Kong: Wow, that's a big ape. What would happen if you gave him bongo drums? (He'd probably lose to Travis, but that's another issue. I demand another rematch!)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: I've really enjoyed the other three movies, although I suspect I won't be able to get my fellow Techers to see this with me. I know one of my high school friends wants to see this a lot.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Somehow I suspect this will jive with my sense of humor.

Chicken Little: The trailers have been funny, so why not.

Domino: This could either be good or really, really bad.

Capote: This is the film that will probably win Philip Seymour Hoffman an academy award (based on what I've heard about the film; we'll see what I think after I see it).

Cars: The film already has a truck, so it needs a scene about motherhood to be considered any sort of true western. :)

Wallace and Gromit: I wanted to see it anyway, and everything I've heard is good.

The Pink Panther: I get more worried about this film all the time, but the pink panther is a major part of my paradigm (as is well-known) and my not seeing this would be like my not buying the new Depeche Mode album. (I'll have some Depeche Mode posts in the near future.)

The Brothers Grimm: I suspect I actually won't see it, but the idea is good. Maybe I'll get around to it.

Aeon Flux: I just saw the trailer. This one could suck too, but I'm going to see it anyway.

The Weather Man: This actually looks very funny. (The trailer shows a seen in which Nicholas Cage explains that the reason people don't throw things at him anymore when he's walking around town is probably because of the bow & arrow he now carries.)

The Thing About My Folks: In an "About Schmidt" (very good but a bit depressing too) kind of way

Fun With Dick and Jane: Jim Carrey is a great actor. (Not that this one is supposed to highlight that aspect of his work, but I'm still pro Jim Carrey.)

Everything is Illuminated: It seems interesting and somehow I think my own heritage might make this a bit relevant too.

Good Night, and Good Luck: To quote Tom Lehrer, "I have not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Boy Scouts of America."

[Postscript: I forgot to mention Mirrormask. I didn't see it on the website for a while.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is good. Have you seen "fear and trembling"? A very strange movie, but very funny in many ways. It's out on DVD, about a polish girl trying to make it in a big japanese firm. not a chick flick. -jing

Mason said...

Interesting. The title sounds familiar, but I don't remember hearing anything about it before.

Remember: "It's easy when you're big in Japan."

By the way, I submitted my abstract for the March Meeting today. I still don't know for sure if I'll go, but there's a pretty good chance.

Anonymous said...

Oh god! I need to find out the deadline ! Got my labtop, and am loving every bit of it. -jing

Mason said...

I think it's due 11/30.