Friday, October 21, 2005

Serenity

I saw Serenity nine days ago and I'm only now getting around to posting this entry.

The movie was definitely excellent, and I need to go and watch Firefly (which I've never seen except possibly for a few minutes when I was channel surfing one time) and catch up on the private jokes I didn't understand. Now, I don't put this in my top N for small positive integers N as others I know do, but I enjoyed the movie very, very much. There was quite a bit of humor (even without understanding the private jokes) and one good way to describe is that it's what the other movies in its genre should have been.

(There's a generic spoiler coming.) I was amused by the "I am invincible!" moment (even though I saw it coming) and I appreciated that the powers that be were willing to kill off important characters. There were good some one-liners, although I bet I missed a bunch of these because I've never watched the show. Oh, and I loved Mr. Universe's Jewish wedding to a robot! That was absolutely key. (His relationship with the robot made me think of Weird Science, although I think the similarity doesn't really go very far.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a scurve tried to will me into seeing Serenity recently. I haven't yet, but this post makes sense of it all. -jing

Mason said...

Go see it!