Sunday, July 23, 2006

Crosseyed and Painless

Earlier today, one of my pupils had something like half the radius of the other. It looked really weird. (The wikipedia link gives the name for this condition and discusses possible causes.)

My eyes look normal right now, so that's a good sign---especially given that my eyes are one of my few aspects that are consistently complimented. (It's basically my eyes, my t-shirts, and my wit---and the latter two are correlated.) I need to hold on to what few boons I have.

2 comments:

Lemming said...

Your pupils dialate independently from one another, and several things can greatly affect the rate of dialation. The one that I was heavily briefed on, at least, was oxygen deprivation.

This has it's uses--say you're an astronomer, and you need your eyes acclimated to the dark for viewing effectively in the telescope, but also you need to stop and take notes regularly, or there's ambient light pollution that'll cause you to readjust when you move away from the viewfinder.

Easy--just go pirate style, and wear an eyepatch. You can keep one eye acclimated to the dark, and use the other for everything else.

Of course, this wouldn't ever do me a lick of good.

Mason said...

Given the recent weather, I actually have had some trouble breathing, so maybe I am missing a wee bit of oxygen. :)

I was just a little weirded out to see the different pupil sizes in the mirror. I wasn't having any vision problems that I noticed, but I was nevertheless relieved when they looked normal again.

The wikipedia article actually discussed attractiveness viz. pupil size. (Am I using "viz." correctly?) I haven't noticed that consciously, but I'm going to need to note this in the future, because I'm thinking there's something I do know that this might actually explain.

By the way, did anybody get the reference in the post title?