Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"Independence" Day

Gazebo posted an essay (or a reasonably long excerpt thereof) by Frederick Douglas on his blog, and much of what is written therein remains extremely apt today.

How am I celebrating? Simple: I am in the office dealing with page proof corrections and meeting with students. I'd be dealing with infinite-dimensional Hill determinants too, but that is so yesterday.

I think it would be a shame if I didn't use this post as an opportunity to piss somebody off, so here's my assertion for the day: Independence Day is so September 10th.

Granted, my choice of what to do today has nothing whatsoever to do with my political opinions and really is just my usual OCD when it comes to my work.

Please enjoy yourself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Independence Day Mason! -jing

Mason said...

You too!

I am admittedly feeling a bit grumpy, but I think the main reason is that I've been having trouble sleeping.

Anonymous said...

me too. -jing

Mason said...

Jing, you need to stop getting bitter in your old age. ;)

Anonymous said...

bitter is the new bitter ;)

Mason said...

What's the old bitter?

By the way, did I mention that I like my women like my coffee?

Anonymous said...

hm, is coffee the new moldy cheese?

Mason said...

Coffee is the new chocolate.