Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Awesome reference in music video for "The Sun Always Shines On TV"

At dinner in Somerville's hall tonight, I actually had a conversation about 80s music---including obscure stuff. As it turns out, the graduate student sitting next to me has her own radio show on Friday nights and they always play music with a theme. This week's theme is television, so I was trying to convince her to play "The Sun Always Shines On TV" which is distinctive because (1) it's one of the best songs ever and (2) it's the song to bring up to point out that A-Ha is not a one-hit wonder. (I was apparently the second person to try to convince her to include this song and to use reason (1) as why.) Anyway, she told me that the music video for that song actually has a reference to the video for "Take On Me" in it (including the same girl from that video!). I approve! As I have told Lemming on numerous occasions, the video for "Take On Me" is just fucking awesome and in many ways it helps define 80s music for me. I also suggested Trans-X's "Living On Video", and her response to that one was receptive.

Anyway, a night when I can talk about 80s music (including obscure stuff) with an interesting person is always a good one. And after dinner, some of my friends and I hung out in the SCR, which is also obviously a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you suggest the songs from "Once More With Feeling"? Music doesn't get more television-themed than that! Also, considering your location the Red Dwarf Series VII episode "Blue" would also provide some awesome material.

Mason said...

"Once More With Feeling" didn't actually occur to me, though that is an excellent suggestion. (And one of my favorite "Buffy" episodes of all time! Maybe even my favorite.) I've never actually seen any "Red Dwarf" though I was told some of the playlist. Some song from "Dr. Who" is on it.