Monday, March 03, 2008

Best and worst names among baseball prospects

Courtesy Rob Neyer's blog, here is The Baseball Crank's list of the best and worst names for current baseball prospects. (Neyer points out that minor league pitcher Josh Outman was miraculously excluded.) You've got to love a pitcher with the name Antonio Bastardo.

Let me also comment on a few baseball names of the past (occasionally recent past) that I really love: Razor Shines, Atlee Hammaker, Homer Bush, and Stubby Clapp. (Clapp's story is one of the best---he was a career minor leaguer and when he made his Major League debut in St. Louis a few years ago, he became an instant fan favorite basically because of his name.) Two other excellent baseball player names from the past are Sterling Hitchcock and Orel Hershiser.

I know that there are many great ones that I'm forgetting, but I don't want to spend too long thinking about this. Let me know what your favorite names are---baseball players, other sports, and tv/movie/theatrical actors and actresses are all fair game.

No comments: