Sunday, March 16, 2008

Two concerts

Here is another belated post.

On my (2^5)th birthday (February 10th), I saw Alison Moyet in concert. She sang most of the songs I wanted to hear, including two songs from Yaz ("Only You" and "Don't Go"). This included a couple of extremely interesting reimaginings (and one somewhat annoying reimagining). The main songs (by far) that I was disappointed not to hear were "Situation" (one of my favorite songs ever) and "Nobody's Diary".

A couple of weeks after that I saw Nouvelle Vague, which specializes in bossa nova covers of new wave and punk songs (note what 'nouvelle vague' translates to in English...). I really enjoyed that concert as well, and the two lead singers had an incredible stage presence together. They did some of the songs as duets, and they complemented each other very well not just with their singing but also with their on-stage interactions. The performance included a Frente!-esque version of "Bizarre Love Triangle" that I hadn't heard before as a studio version. I've written about this band a couple of times before in this spot, so I'll let you follow the link for more information.

No comments: