Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar wrap-up

The Oscars were announced today. A few weeks ago, I offered some fearless predictions for who would win, and now is the time to revisit them.


Best Picture: Crash (Me: Brokeback Mountain)

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Me: Hoffman)

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon (Me: Witherspoon)

Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney (Me: Jake Gyllenhaal)

Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz (Me: Frances McDormand)

Best Director: Ang Lee (Me: George Clooney)

Best Original Screenplay: Crash (Me: The Squid and the Whale)

Best Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback Mountain (Me: Capote)

Best Cinematography: Memoirs of a Geisha (Me: Geisha)

Best Editing: Crash (Me: Walk the Line)

Best Art Direction: Memoirs of a Geisha (Me: Geisha)

Best Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha (Me: Pride and Prejudice)

Best Original Score: Brokeback Mountain (Me: Memoirs of a Geisha)

Best Original Song: "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle & Flow (Me: "Pimp")

Best Makeup: Narnia (Me: Narnia)

Best Sound: King Kong (Me: Walk the Line)

Best Sound Editing: King Kong (Me: War of the Worlds)

Best Visual Effects: King Kong (Me: King Kong)

Best Animated Film: Wallace & Gromit (Me: Howl's Moving Castle)

Best Foreign Language: Tsotsi (Me: Paradise Now)

Best Documentary: Marche de l'empereur, La (Me: Enron); however, when I quickly looked at the names when offering my predictions, I mistakenly hadn't caught that this was March of the Penguins. It's my bad, but I would have predicted that had I not been dense when looking through the nominee list.

Best Short Documentary: A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin (Me: God Sleeps in Rwanda)

Best Short Cartoon: The Moon and the Son (Me: Badgered)

Best Short Live-Action Film: Six Shooter (Me: Six Shooter)


OK, so I didn't do very well with my predictions. There were 24 predictions, and I nailed it 8 times. There were 5 nominees in most categories and 3 and 4 in a couple categories, so my success rate basically can't be distinguished from random guessing. (Much of the stuff above was random guessing, but if I bothered to check, I bet my success rate for those was comparable to that for the "non-random" ones.)

OK, so I'm not much of an Oscar pundit.

No comments: