Thursday, March 30, 2006

Recent Caltech alum (from my class) gets an article in Nature

Well, I think that Caltech alums get articles in Nature all the time, but it isn't usually somebody from my graduating class.

I found this out via a Cornell press release, which I received via e-mail.

The headline is, "Cassini spacecraft finds evidence of football-field sized moonlets in
Saturn's A ring". As stated in the press release,

A continuum of particle sizes lends strong support to the theory that Saturn's rings were formed when another object fragmented close to the planet, breaking into pieces which were then captured by Saturn's gravitational pull.


The lead author on the article is Matt Tiscareno '98, who at least a couple of you know. He is currently a "research associate" (which I assume means some sort of postdoc) at Cornell. The PI on the project was Joe Burns, whose celestial mechanics course I took many moons ago (excuse the pun).

No comments: