Tuesday, May 16, 2006

First impressions/thoughts of Copenhagen

Here are some impressions and thoughts that I've had so far in my brief exploration of Copenhagen. These aren't precisely in chronological order, and some of them cover more extended periods of time than others.


1. Nine hour time differences suck. And I really need sleep right now.

2. I wonder if the Dodgers won their game. I also wonder how my fantasy players did. (I just checked that we won. Awesome!)

3. There is a really cool pastel-colored movie theatre of which I need to take a picture when it's not as cold or rainy outside.

4. The first song I heard here (playing in the hotel lobby) is Laura Branigan's "Self Control." I approve! Every song I've heard here---both at the hotel and at a restaurant (maybe it was the same channel)---seems to be of the adult contemporary variety, and every song I've heard so far is in English (and something I either identified immediately or vaguely recognized).

5. The women in this city get a major thumbs up. It may even be better than Montreal in this respect, and that's saying a lot. (The population of the airplane suggested this might be so, and my wanderings to absorb the atmosphere confirmed it). I should get a job here.

5a. The bartender at the place we ate seemed to appreciate my sense of humor. ("I'm on my way to getting myself killed on my first day here. This will be my fastest time ever." I can't remember the precise wording, but that was the gist of one of my comments.)

6. There is a record store that has used records. I wonder if they have a copy of one or both of the Baltimora albums?

7. It's raining, so it's a good thing I remembered to bring an umbrella, but it's not raining that hard, so I'll just use it later. (Through inertia, I then ended up being completely soaked when I walked into that restaurant. "I'm already xx wet, so why bother using the umbrella now." Briilliant.)

8. There are a lot of bakeries here, and some of them smell really good! Hmmmm... bakeries.

9. The doors to the rooms in this hotel are at a weird angle.

10. This room is smaller than my Caltech door room, and they gave us an extra bed that's just taking up space we could really use. We need to use lots of swap operations to get our suitcases under the beds and for anybody to get inside the bathroom.

11. The shower stall in the bathroom consists of a cylindrical curtain right in the center of the bathroom. WTF?

12. Oooh! There's free wireless in the lobby!

13. Dr. Phil is showing on the tv in the lobby. The horror, the horror!

14. The hotel has floors 0, 00, and -1.


In sum, my general impression so far is that the city is really cool but the hotel room sucks ass.

No comments: