Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"I always wanted to be in one of your fucking plays."

Thanks to Lemming (whose DVD I borrowed), I finally had a chance to watch Rushmore on my way home from Chicago on Sunday.

The movie was very good, and I certainly appreciated Max Fischer's unique panache. (However, I don't have any particular sympathy for 15-year-olds who bemoan the fact that they don't have a girlfriend.) Jason Schwartzman (who also did an excellent job in Shopgirl, by the way) did an excellent job playing Fischer, and Bill Murray was great, as usual.

The story is a coming-of-age story, and a rather good one at that.

There were plenty of quotable lines, which is something I like to see in a movie. My favorite is the one I used as the title of this entry (complete with thick Scottish accent, of course---where is Charles Lee '96 [aka, "Chuckles"] when you need him?). There were others as well.

The movie was co-written (and co-executive produced) by Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson. I have to say that my respect for Owen Wilson keeps increasing. I know his schtick can occasionally wear thin, but the man has a lot of talent. When he plays it straight, he is an excellent actor and his role in making this movie really shows just how awesome he can be. I am very impressed.

No comments: