Wednesday, October 18, 2006

SURF Seminar Day: Saturday 10/21

Now it's time to advertise my students' talks.

They are speaking in Session Q ("No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!" OK, so maybe it should be called Session Goldfinger), which includes mostly talks from nonlinear dynamics (aka, my students) and condensed matter physics. It takes place in 301 Thomas, and you should definitely come to cheer my students on (by which I mean heckle them and pelt them with rotten fruit).

Actually, they have some very cool things to say about their work, so hopefully some of you will show up. My students took over the morning part of the session; they speak from 10:00 am until 11:40 am.

Here are their names and titles (in order of talk):

Austin Webb, "A Computational Study of the Quantization of Billiards With Mixed Dynamics"

Kris Kazlowski, "Periodic Orbits in Generalized Mushroom Billiards"

Tom Mainiero, "Quantization of a Free Particle Interacting Linearly With a Harmonic Oscillator"

Tatjana Wiese, "Faraday Patterns in Bose-Einstein Condensates"

Yan Zhang, "Community Finding in the Legislation Cosponsorship Network of the Members of Congress"



Yan has finished the final version of his SURF report and the others will be finishing theirs very soon (especially as they're due on 11/1). Yan's research fits into this session because it is an example of what I like to called "applied statistical mechanics" (but which is generally called "complex systems" or "complex adaptive systems").

I'll include blurbs about my students' work a little later when all the SURF reports are online.

No comments: