Sunday, October 08, 2006

Wait 'til next year

Well, the Dodgers got swept by the Mets in the NLDS "today" (technically on 10/7, but I haven't gone to bed yet, so that counts as today) and we will have to wait until next year.

Since 1988, when the Dodgers won the World Series (and I was in 7th grade), we have not done well in the postseason. We got swept in the NLDS (losing three games to zero) in 1995 and 1996, lost 3-1 in 2004, and got swept this year. (Is there a year I'm missing? I don't think so, but if we did, we got swept in the NLDS that year.) Thus, since 1988, we have won exactly 1 playoff game (and, obviously, no playoff series). The Dodgers are breaking my heart (...and shaking my confidence daily).

However, let me end this on an optimistic note. The Tigers kicked the Yankees butts to complete a 3-1 ALDS victory, so the Yankees were also eliminated! Alex Rodriguez's shattered psyche may never recover...

I suppose the best thing for which to root would be a rematch of the 1984 World Series that pitted the Tigers against the Padres. Of the remaining teams, I hope the Tigers win it all.

No comments: