Tuesday, September 08, 2009

"Communities in Networks"

My survey/review article on community structure in networks finally came out today! I poured what was left of my soul into this one. (Among other things, I devoted a very large fraction of my winter "break" to work on this article.) This paper might well be my best chance in a long time to make a name for myself.


Title: Communities in Networks

Authors: Mason A. Porter, Jukka-Pekka Onnela, Peter J. Mucha

Abstract (arXiv only; The Notices doesn't use abstracts): We survey some of the concepts, methods, and applications of community detection, which has become an increasingly important area of network science. To help ease newcomers into the field, we provide a guide to available methodology and open problems, and discuss why scientists from diverse backgrounds are interested in these problems. As a running theme, we emphasize the connections of community detection to problems in statistical physics and computational optimization.

No comments: