Thursday, January 26, 2006

Celtic Woman's cover of "Orinoco Flow"

I've been enjoying this song so much that it deserves its own post.

This cover of "Orinoco Flow" (my favorite Enya song) was released in 2005 as part of the self-titled album by Celtic Woman. (Despite the album title, there are several women in the group, so it's really an ensemble.) I didn't actually hear the song until this year, so it's the early leading contender for 2006's song of the year.

While I really like a few of the Ladytron songs to which I've recently been introduced ("Beauty*2", in particular), this version of "Orinoco Flow" is an exceptionally good reinterpretation of the song. (One of the reasons I love this song so much is that it took a song I love in the first place and reinterpreted into something I also love. That is worlds better than an awesome cover that doesn't do any reinterpretation and [obviously] kicks the living crap out of a bad or mediocre cover.) Having an ensemble sing this song is really cool where one has one person (with a beautiful voice) singing some of the lyrics and then the whole group answers her.

Anyway, the concise way to express myself is that this song just makes me happy when I hear. It's that awesome.

No comments: