Tuesday, January 03, 2006

What happens in Bethesda stays in Bethesda

My current destination isn't exactly as exciting as my last one, but the conference I'm attending (Dynamics Days) is one of my favorite ones. It is always in early January, so I typically end up having a flight this early in January (or even earlier) every year. This will be my first of three trips to Maryland in consecutive months. I will likely be sampling three local airports. (I am flying into Dulles today. My flight on 2/8 goes to Reagan airport, and I plan to go to Baltimore in March because that's where the conference is being held.) The last time I went to Maryland (for Dynamics Days 2002), I flew to the wrong airport and had to find a creative way to get to Baltimore without breaking the bank (I did), and I believe I arranged things correctly this time around.

I am prepared to freeze my butt off, and some of the recent weather here has already served as a bit of a trailer (not an accurate trailer, but a trailer nonetheless).

I will be speaking tomorrow about my congress project, and there's something heart-warming about doing this really close to the Beltway. (Also, it looks like we're on track to shortly submit for publication another paper on this topic. Hopefully, it will be ready at the end of this month.)

Tomorrow night, the plan is to meet up for dinner with one of my cousin's and dinner with one of my high school friends (who is finishing up at Hopkins) is also on the docket.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's National, damnit. Not Reagan.

PS. Getting there on the postdoc thing. Thanks for the advice...

Mason said...

It is now named after Reagan and when one deals with traveling, this is the standard name in use. I usually hear it called "Washngton-Reagan" collioquial, and I am not about to make my traveling even more difficult than it is by boycotting the airport's common name if I need to ask a question about it.

Anonymous said...

Nice talk today in Bethesda!

Mason said...

Anonymous: Thanks! I'm used to anonymous potshots rather than anonymous compliments. :) I appreciate it!

Now that my talk is done, I'm free to wear crappy clothing for the rest of the conference. Yeah! (My talk wear is better described as less crappy rather than not crappy---or something like that.)

Mason said...

Hmmm...my spelling and grammar seemed to be a bit problematic in this entry and my responses. I need more sleep.