Thursday, January 12, 2006

Exhibitors' Hall and its contents

The conference's Exhibitors' Hall opened up an hour and a half ago.

I may have mentioned this in the past, but this particular math conference does have it's version of Booth Babes. Now, who knows what will happen to one's lunch afterwards, but the analog exists nonetheless. [Actually, a lot of the publishing companies actively attempt to hire people who provide eye candy, although a couple of them have tastes that leave a lot to be desired. The key, I think, is to look for the people selling math books who don't actually know any math. :) I think it's similar to the March Meeting, but that conference has the advantage of volume (of the number of people, not the volume of individual people).]

I've got the wireless connection going in the Convention Center now, so it seems that all the 'Net stuff is now where it should be. My computer and other stuff is heavy and annoying to carry around, but I'll have a while to recover after the meeting is over. :) [I'll try and lighten my load tomorrow.]

I got a couple chotchkes from Exhibitors' Hall as well, although I didn't find anything too interesting yet. The computer screen brush might come in handy. I'm pretty bad about that stuff.

2 comments:

Zifnab said...

So where are the booth babe pics?

Mason said...

Sorry, I have no pictures, and I think trying to take any would hurt my chances for a book deal. (In their manning of the publisher booths, several of these people are also supposed to recruit people to write math books. (Yes, this includes the ones whose background is not mathematics. It's interesting how they do this. One of my friends from grad school got a job in Springer's math section and used that as a springboard to get a publishing job outside of science.)

Also, the protocol is a bit different from E3, and it's not like I'd be able to top Tim's picture anyway.

Maybe I can convince one of my friends to pose for you---either here or at the March Meeting.