Thursday, January 05, 2006

USC goes down

As I mentioned in responding to JSpur, the fact that a UT Austin touchdown with 19 seconds remaining (it was 19, right?) against USC caused the latter to lose the 2006 Rose Bowl by a 41-38 margin deserves its own entry. (You get props for finding a way to sneak it into my misguided prime number rant. 41 is indeed prime, but 42 is an inherantly cooler number.) I was planning on this entry anyway because I was born and bred to hate USC. All of my siblings and my parents are UCLA alums (I'm the only black sheep), and hating USC has just been part of me for so long. If Jim Healy were still alive and had his sports news radio broadcast, he would be playing the recording he has of the USC marching song dying in the middle of the song.

(Notice how I referred to their schools by their academic names rather than their sports team names? I am just used to doing that, although I have been known to, e.g., say UNC for the Chapel Hill campus as if the others didn't exist.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed it was 19 seconds left I'm just real glad the game didn't make it into overtime. I was almost out of Scotch.

'Twas a helluva game.

Although I do think that, based on his performance, it means our #10 will in all likelihood be playing on Sundays instead of Saturdays next season. Which means we have precious little chance of repeating since we'll be starting a freshman quarterback.

That's next year's problem though. We'll take it for now. And love it.