Sunday, January 22, 2006

Mathematics Awareness Month (April 2006)

I just saw a notice for the theme of this year's Mathematics Awareness Month, which concerns Internet Security.

In 2004, the theme was the 'mathematics of networks', which was a good theme that actually includes much of the stuff from the current year. I think the more general 'mathematics and the internet' (forget the security bit) would be better. This is just too specific an application.

A couple of the theme essays concern worm propagation on networks. They were written by a couple people I know: Georgia Tech associate professor of EE Chuanyi Ji and her graduate student Zesheng Chen. I have had discussions with them in the past about collaborating, although thus far nothing major has come out of these discussions. I haven't e-mailed Chuanyi in a couple months, so I wonder if Zesheng was able to find anything interesting with the stuff we've discussed (which pertains to worm propagation on networks of various topologies)?

No comments: