Friday, April 28, 2006

New members of the National Academy of Sciences

You can find the list here.

There are several familiar names in the list, but the one I want to point out is Eric ("Rick") Heller, a pioneer in the field of quantum chaos.

He may or may not remember me. I applied for a postdoc under him several years ago (one of the only applications I sent to an individual professor) and he was going to consider me, but then it turns out that he had spent three years of money in two years and told one of his graduate students at the last minute that he had to finish around six months earlier than planned. Any possibility of being hired was gone simply because there was not going to be any money to hire anyone at that point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huh. One of my recommenders is on that list. I wonder if *now* I'll get a postdoc.