Tuesday, April 25, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I'm sure we've all seen shows, movies, and commercials in which a restaurant or store (or wherever) suddenly breaks into song and dance (which the people outside rush to join) and thought "This never happens in real life!" (or some variant thereof). Well, I found out on Saturday that this apparently does occasionally happen. (I had never seen anything like this before in my life.)

I was with Lanth, Zifnab, and Lemming at one of the locations of Johnny Rocket's in Hollywood after seeing Josh at Fight Club (I'll write that entry in a few minutes). People requested songs from their table, and when certain canonical songs (such as YMCA) showed up, one of the waiters went to the back room, raised the volume, and several of the employees did a routine.

The first of these, "Respect," was the best. First, our waitress was really jamming to the song and them several of the other workers joined her. We also noticed some customers inside the restaurant moving a bit in their seats and some bystanders outside the restaurant moving around a little bit. Then, all of a sudden, some people inside stood up and joined the employees AND (most amazingly) a few people from outside ran into the place to jam with the employees. I'm pretty sure there were more people dancing than sitting inside Johnny Rocket's. To see something like this in real life was really quite amusing/amazing.

6 comments:

Lemming said...

The girl in the glasses was cute...

Mason said...

You did say you wanted to work there... and I thought it was just because of the music and dancing. :)

Anonymous said...

It's possible someone has summoned a demon.

Buffy: So did anybody... last night, did anybody um... burst into song?
Xander: Merciful Zeus!
Willow: We thought it was just us!
Giles: Well, I sang but I had my guitar at the hotel...
Tara: It was bizarre. We were talking and then it was like-
Buffy: Like you were in a musical!
Giles: That would explain the huge backing orchestra I couldn't see and the synchronized dancing from the room service chaps.
Willow: We did a whole duet about dish washing.
Anya: And we were arguing and then everything rhymed and there were harmonies and the dance with coconuts.
Willow: There was an entire verse about the cous-cous.
Xander: It was very disturbing.

Anonymous said...

Or it might be bunnies...

Lemming said...

That episode was fantastic.

Mason said...

You know, I ought to watch some of that stuff (I haven't watched any of it).

I also have one (or slightly more than one) episode of Firefly I still need to see.