Thursday, April 27, 2006

Youppi! (and other notable baseball mascots)

Youppi!, the great mascot formerly of the Montreal Expos came up at lunch today, so I am providing this link to it's wikipedia entry as a service to my loyal readers. Personally, I prefer the spelling that includes the explanation point.

According to wikipedia, Youppi! was the first mascot to be ejected from a Major League game (courtesy Tommy Lasorda, who is The Man!). This sounds vaguely familiar. Tommy also had an interesting relationship with my favorite mascot of all time, The Phillie Phanatic (you might have noticed a stuffed Phanatic in my apartment), who loved to torment Tommy whenever the Dodgers visited Philadelphia. (I can't overstate how funny it was to watch the Phanatic torment Lasorda. Tommy is even listed as The Phanatic's official rival by wikipedia!) I also like The San Diego Chicken (which is much better than the Padres' admittedly more appropriate current mascot, which is a friar). It's too bad The Chicken changed its name to "The Famous Chicken," but when it was touring ballparks across America, it wasn't exactly associated with San Diego anymore.

No comments: