Tuesday, August 14, 2007

And now we have dusting of stars

I saw Stardust on Sunday. The movie was fantastic and Robert DeNiro was, shall we say, absolutely fabulous. (If you don't understand that reference, then you can start your education at this website.) I first found out about this movie when I saw the trailer during Transformers. I remember being blown away by how cool the trailer was, and then I was blown away by how awesome the movie was! Stardust is on the short list of my favorite movies of 2007, though I need time to pass (not to mention several more months full of movies that will be coming out) before I can figure out precisely where it ranks.

As far as I can tell, the entire gang approved of the movie wholeheartedly. As I wrote above, I consider it to be awesome. Zifnab was even more enthusiastic, as this movie has converted his erstwhile trimvirate of all-time favorite movies into a quartet. Lemming correctly writes, "If you don't see it, it's your own damn fault.". The movie really is that good. I can certainly see why fantasty-philes might like the movie better than the average person, but I would nevertheless argue that the so-called average person who might not normally like fantasy should see the movie because it really is that awesome. Gazebo had positive things to say about Stardust as well, and I'm sure the sentiments all of us have been conveying will be repeated by others. (But don't just listen to us gush... go see the bloody film!)

I should also point out that numerous people seem to be making (both general and specific) comparisons to The Princess Bride. While I certainly observed the very superficial similarity of both of them being in the fantasy genre, the stronger statements aren't things that occurred to me at all during the film. Based on the commentary by others, this basically tells me that it's time to go watch Princess Bride again...

By the way, the title of this entry is a reference to a certain poem that you can find reproduced in full at this website.

No comments: