Monday, August 06, 2007

Life imitates the Frantics

Despite my current (justified) feelings of guilt and remorse, I'm going to continue to post regular entries here. This shouldn't be interpreted as callousness but rather as my putting on my game face and proceeding with life as I try to deal with things.

Anyway, I am on a Democrat mailing list from which I have unsuccessfully tried to subscribe on numuerous occasions (I've pretty much given up by now).

The first statement in their letter this morning was "The best defense is a strong offense". Do you know who said that (well, something very similar to that)?

8 comments:

Lemming said...

I dunno, was it Mel, the cook on Alice?

Lidarose said...

I think that this is not a quote of any famous person per se, as much as a cliche. What leads me to believe this is a search of the web that couldn't turn up an author anywhere, and an article I did find that referred to the saying as a cliche. I'll be interested to see if anyone does find a source for this.

Mason said...

Lidarose: You are correct that it's a cliché, but there is a specific skit by the Frantics called "Tai Quan Leap" that goes something like "Yeah, well the best defense is a good offense. Do you know who said that? Mel, the cook on Alice."

Lemming said...

Yeah, sorry, I cheated by hanging out with Mason too much, so I know most of the callbacks already.

Lidarose said...

Oh, well.

Lidarose said...

Hm, I didn't get the thing about geometry on zifnab's blog either - was that one of those callbacks, too?

Mason said...

The 'geometry' thing was an allusion but not one of the usual callbacks. Lemming was referring to "Think of it as evolution in action." This is from a Larry Niven book ("Oath of Fealty") that I borrowed from him and read recently.

Hmmm... I think "callback" may not be the right word. It should just be "cue", I suppose?

Lemming said...

Either term works well, I think. Really, the cue and the callback are two pieces of the same thing. "You know who said that?" being the cue, "Mel..." being the callback.