Saturday, August 04, 2007

Games!

Continuing my pattern of saying what happens somewhere stays somewhere and then proceeding to describe aspects of my trip...

Gazebo and I went to the baseball game between the A's and Angels today. The game was fast-paced and low-scoring, with the A's winning 2-1. There was some entertainment at the end with some Oakland A's fans (especially a kid) getting into it a bit with some Angel fans who had come to the game. Of course, this doesn't even hold a candle to the heckling we Dodger fans received in San Fransisco's home ballpark a few years back. (Also, Gazebo didn't have to use any pepper spray on this particular trip to the ballpark. Well, he hasn't used on at other times either, but there's one time that I bet he wished he had some...) Alas, Gazebo's old blog entry doesn't describe the loud Giants-fan child and the react he got from a certain visiting Dodgers fan (which was a truly spectacular example of fans interacting with each other)...

We also went to Games of Berkeley today. I bought the expected prize, which is the Dunwich Horror expansion to Arkham Horror. (The King in Yellow expansions didn't sound appealing, and I definitely don't want the Pharoah expansion...) One guy behind the counter asked me how long Arkham Horror games take for me. I answered that, and then I felt compelled to tell him about a certain game of Munchkin. I also considered buying Apples to Apples: Jewish Edition because I know so many of the private jokes in there. (The sample nouns on the cover included "Jewish mother" and "bris" and the sample adjectives included "misunderstood". They had the usual irreverant humor, and I was pleased to see the expected inside jokes. I approve!) However, the box also gave me the impression that the product included an element of proselytizing, so I decided not to buy it for now. However, I think it would make a great gift for certain friends and relatives, and I would very much like to play the game with other people who would appreciate the inside jokes. (I'd play it with non-MOTs as well, but I'm not sure how much they'd get out of it because some things might get too specific.)

Gazebo also picked up Guitar Hero: Rock the 80s. Unsurprisingly, the fraction of songs I know well on this version of the game is much higher than on other versions. (Plus, I like more of the songs!) Also, I get to have more Comic Book Guy moments: The sound-alike for the Scorpions lead singer kind of fails and the version of the song "Radar Love" is inspired by the White Lion cover of the much better original version, which Golden Earing recorded in the 70s.

In the meantime, my personal life is still leaving me in a general state of anger/bitterness and with an increased cynicism that I used to think was all but impossible for me (hadn't I already reached the "pinnacle" of that?). It's a good thing that I'm good at putting my game face on and working/hanging out with friends to get things out of my mind. "Hooray" for iron will and practice from my rotten childhood...

No comments: