Friday, December 09, 2005

Botched fort save

My character in Joe's game had already suffered through a disastrous series of botched saves on Sunday---3 in one minute (apparently, Lucky Boy refers to bad luck because it was right after we got food from there); I believe 2 were on my search checks and 1 was on a reflex save for a trap I found after previously just failing the search save. (This did wonders for both my character's Con and his confidence, let me tell you.)

Of course, to make things more realistic, apparently I was also supposed to experience a reduced Con and Str in real life. I had been sick with the flu since Saturday but I had been getting better until I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night on Wed-Thurs (really, some time early Thurs morning) in cold sweats with uncontrollable shakes. (Other, equally unpleasant and more graphic, details will remain unmentioned in the interest of anybody reading this.) It was one of those things that made me know that I wasn't going to do any work yesterday. I usually try to get some work done even when I'm sick, although my productivity this week had already been notably lower for this very reason. I did go to campus briefly to print some stuff out (I don't have a printer at home), but it was a struggle to walk to campus, and thankfully the condensed matter secretary very kindly gave me a ride home in the middle of the work day because of how poorly I was doing. (Before I got around to printing, I lay sprawled on my office floor for an hour. I would have done this on the couches in the building's reception area, but public sleeping in Sloan Annex seems a bit less acceptable than public sleeping in Lloyd.)

Once I got home, I basically slept (or at least lay in bed) until this morning, with very slight breaks to try to get some stuff down (hooray for apple juice!). I did check e-mail a couple times but I didn't even go on espn yesterday to check for baseball trades until like 8pm or something. I would estimate that my Con and Str yesterday were both around 2 (not more than 2!), and as Lemming mentioned, the way ability damage heals that should make me back to normal in 2-3 days. That's a bit of an exaggeration (because I think my modifier is actually only a -1 for each; or perhaps a -2 with a value of 7), but I nevertheless appreciated the comment.

Anyway, yesterday was not the most enjoyable day of my life. People who didn't see me yesterday were telling me how bad I look today. Those who saw me yesterday told me today that I looked much better today.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I made all my reflex saves over the last couple days, thus avoiding the need to clean certain parts of my house.

No comments: