Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Lloyd Christmas tree: 2005 edition

I meant to post this before (and the Gazebo beat me to it), but let me mention this belatedly. I noticed this during finals week and I guess it was put up the Friday right before then. I already knew that this has been done every year in Lloyd since fall 1994 when the frosh class I was in started the tradition (the original idea belongs to Wes Salzillo and Jim Glore). At one level, it's not as cool for current frosh because they are expected to do it. At another level, it's very cool for members of my class because we started this tradition and it's still going very strong. I wonder if many of the lights being used are the same ones as those back in the day? (Interestingly, I saw the almost final version of the magazine cover that I'm getting and the portion of the plot that will be on the cover looks very Christmassy (is that with one 's' or two?) with its color scheme. The whole plot is supposed to be shown as a sidebar in the magazine/journal. I'll post details when it comes out in February.)

There will be a story on the origins of the Lloyd Christmas tree in Legends III. That was basically the #1 request among Lloydies of my era, and I would probably had several people lined up to kill me if that hadn't made the book. Hence, it's in the book, so put your weapons down. :) It looks like a couple New Years-themed "trailers" from our book may be showing up on the Caltech website next week, and I wonder if the Lloyd X-mas tree story will be included among those.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caltech and its traditions are simply the coolest. We always enjoyed visiting out there and strolling the campus. And the Huntington Ritz-Carlton is one of the great hotels in the world...