Sunday, December 04, 2005

Shopgirl

I actually saw this a few weeks ago, so sorry about being so late here. Shopgirl is Steve Martin's new flick (which was adapted from his novella). Accordingly, I came into it with very high expectations. Unfortunately, it didn't meet them. The film was decent but no better and had very little humor in it. Steve Martin certain can do serious acting, and the quality of the acting in this film was very high, but I just didn't get what I wanted out of it. It's too bad, because I wanted to like it more than I actually did. There is a character in the film named "Loki", which always gets points in my book, and there were a few amusing moments (a couple of the band-touring scenes, in particular), but I wouldn't particularly recommend the film unless you have already read the novella and know you like the story or if you're in the mood for Steve Martin in a drama. Of course, I'm sure it beats the Hell out of the other Steve Martin flick out right now (Cheaper by the Dozen 2), which I definitely won't be seeing. The Pink Panther is currently slated for February, and I will be seeing that to satisfy a moral imperative (though I am admittedly worried about the film). The Pink Panther is far too important a part of my paradigm for me to miss that one.

No comments: