Sunday, December 25, 2005

Movie and Chinese food

On Christmas day, it's an old Jewish tradition to see a movie and go out to dinner to eat Chinese food, so that's what I'll be doing "tomorrow" (really, later today). I suspect this actually originated from a Woody Allen film. Does anybody have any idea which one?

I'm not sure what movie I'll see yet, but on principle I can't see Narnia on Christmas. I really want to see the movie, but I need to see something non-religious tomorrow. I really want to see Memoirs of a Geisha, but I discussed the idea of seeing that on Monday with Lorian and Joe, so it looks like it won't be that one either. That likely leaves King Kong, although I should see if anything new started playing this weekend.

The other thing about this tradition is that it's become a way for Jewish people to meet fellow singles who are MOTs. (MOT = Member of the Tribe. Yes, this acronym is actually in common use, although I didn't know it until a couple years ago. It is used independent of what one actually believes, because I think the religious stuff from my own heritage is full of just as much crap as the Christmas bullshit. It's just that it's my ancestors' crap as opposed to somebody else's, so I find secular value in certain aspects of it.) Not that I'm actually going to try to meet anybody. I never do. I have occasionally met fellow Tech postdocs and some students, and the only other people I've met since I returned to Pasadena are the people who work at Peet's (in a very loose sense of "meet") and a random 18-year-old at Peet's. (Clearly, she needs a 2nd-edition haste spell cast on her. That could have solved some problems.)

Now I need sleep...

No comments: